Start a Women in Aviation Chapter
A Women in Aviation International chapter is so much more than an aviation club. With a club, the goal is to have a good time. With a WAI chapter, you’ll have a great time and a lot of fun. And you and your fellow members will get involved in your community and encourage women of all ages to be their best in aviation and aerospace. As a chapter member, you’ll network with and mentor other WAI members at chapter meetings and chapter outreach events, and you’ll get to see the impact your chapter makes on a local level. And did we mention that you’ll have a great time doing all of it?
Starting a Chapter
- Contact WAI Outreach Director Molly Martin and share your intent to organize a chapter. She'll be there to provide you with direction, materials, and potential contacts.
- Advertise/promote your new chapter with flyers, email, postcards, and invitations at local airports, flight schools, aviation and aerospace company lounges, college/university aviation department bulletin boards and anywhere else you think potential members may be.
- Conduct an organizational meeting for prospective chapter members.
- Identify 10 WAI members who will be charter chapter members (6 WAI members for collegiate and international chapters).
- Elect provisional officers, determine meeting day and time and chapter dues.
- Select your chapter name with your college, company, geographic area, or even something more creative.
- Form committees for areas that would be helpful in managing the chapter, such as outreach, membership, program, budget, bylaws, social media, marketing, etc.
- Collect list of WAI members and new members’ applications and dues
- Prepare and submit provisional chapter application with $150 fee (see Chapter Handbook, section 4) You can pay the $150 application fee here.
From Provisional to Official—You’re Almost There
Once that’s accomplished, you’re a provisional chapter and have one full year to reach official status. To become official, the following need to be taken care of, but don’t forget—WAI is here to help!
- Obtain Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) from IRS (U.S. Chapters)
- Incorporate chapter in your state, province, or country
- Prepare chapter bylaws
- Obtain tax-exempt status – WAI group ruling or college/university
- Elect board of directors
- Plan community outreach and membership drive events
- Prepare and submit official chapter application with $100 fee (see Chapter Handbook, section 5). You can pay the $100 application fee here.
The Effort Is Worth It!
By starting a WAI chapter, you are putting into motion a support system that can benefit women and their aviation careers for years to come. There’s a bit of work involved, but the payoff is instant in the camaraderie you’ll share with like-minded individuals whose passion for aviation matches yours!