The WAI Pioneer Hall of Fame was established in 1992 to honor women who have made significant contributions as record setters, pioneers, or innovators. Special consideration is given to individuals or groups who have helped other women be successful in aviation or opened doors of opportunity for other women. WAI solicits nominations from members of women throughout the aviation industry for induction to the WAI Pioneer Hall of Fame.
Download Application (PDF)
The Women in Aviation International Pioneer Hall of Fame was established in 1992 to honor women who have made significant contributions as record setters, pioneers, or innovators. Special consideration is given to women who have helped other women become successful in aviation or have opened doors of opportunity for other women.
1. Nominees must have made outstanding contributions to one or more of the following areas:
2. The major contributions(s) must have been significant record setting or pioneering efforts.
3. Candidates can be living or deceased.
4. All facts submitted for review must be independently verifiable.
5. A good quality, reproducible photo of nominee—a high resolution digital photo is preferred.
6. All nominations must be submitted to the WAI Pioneer Hall of Fame Committee by August 1, 2019.
A judging committee will review all applications. The committee will make final selections based on how the nominee's contributions met the criteria of record setting or pioneering efforts. A maximum of five candidates will be inducted in March 2019. Announcement of inductees will be made by January 2020 and the induction ceremony will be held at the International Women in Aviation Conference at the Pioneer Hall of Fame Ceremony.
Applications must be received by August 1, 2019. Send application form and proposal to:
Pioneer Hall of Fame Committee
Women in Aviation International
3647 State Route 503 South
West Alexandria, OH 45381
Sometimes it is difficult to know if your nomination justification will convince the selection committee. At the International Women in Aviation Conference in February 2007, RDML Wendi Carpenter, USNR, provided the following (paraphrased) list of Seven Key Attributes of a Pioneer that we think provides a great guide to help you determine what makes your nominee stand out. Please use the list as a guide only, with the understanding that it may not fully define all Pioneers.