November 12 is the cut-off date
Nearly $650,000 in scholarships will be awarded at WAI’s 30th Annual International Women in Aviation Conference, and the time to apply is now. To qualify for a scholarship, the applicant must be a WAI member as of November 1, 2018, and submit the application by November 12, 2018.
WAI has recently added seven new scholarships, which include travel expenses and complimentary registration to the winners to attend the Long Beach conference. These new scholarships bring the total to 121 scholarships offered in 2019.
Two new space-oriented scholarships represent the first of their kind for WAI. The seven new scholarships for 2019 are:
- WAI Space Engineering Scholarship ($10,000) for a student pursuing a degree in aeronautical, electrical, or mechanical engineering or space studies degree with a passion to work in the space industry. (Scholarship value $11,300)
- WAI Space Flight Scholarship ($10,000) fora student pursuing a space flight career. Degree majors can include: aeronautical science, space studies, professional pilot, or similar degree areas.
- WAI Air Traffic Control Scholarship ($2500) for anindividual desiring a career as an air traffic control specialist in tower, TRACON, or ARTCC option.
- WAI Instrument Rating Scholarship ($5000) to beused for training for an instrument rating or a CFI wanting to add their instrument qualification.
- WAI Multi-Engine Rating Scholarship ($3000)to be used for training for a multiengine rating or to add a multiengine endorsement to a CFI certificate.
- WAI CFI Certificate Scholarship ($3000) tobe used for training for a CFI certificate
- WAI Entrepreneur Private Pilot Scholarship($5000) for an individual who would like to earn their private pilot certificate to use toward their business an individual who would like to earn their private pilot certificate to use toward their business or career field by using a general aviation aircraft to enhance his or her current job position.
“Scholarships are available for flight training, maintenance advanced training, aviation lifestyle enhancement, and academic tuition in nearly every aspect of the aviation and aerospace community,” says WAI President Dr. Peggy Chabrian. “Scholarships and WAI go hand and hand, and we have a scholarship for the widest variety of interests and aspirations.”
Most scholarship applications may be completed online at wai.org/education/scholarships which can be submitted right up to November 12, 2018. Mailed applications must be signed and postmarked by that same date.
Last year, atotal of $695,500 was awarded, bringing the total scholarships awarded since 1995 to $11,495,581. The 2019 scholarships will be awarded during WAI’s conference, held next year in Long Beach, California, from March 14-16, 2019. The 2019 conference represents the 30thanniversary of WAI conferences.
New scholarships have been added in the past few months, so interested applicants are urged to check wai.org/education/scholarships for these new opportunities. This is the second year that internships are offered along with scholarships.
Scholarships and application requirements may be found HERE.